Five Focusing Steps
- IDENTIFY the system’s contraint.
- Decide how to EXPLOIT the system’s constraint.
- SUBORDINATE everything else to the above decisions.
- ELEVATE the system’s constraint.
- If in the previous steps a constraint has been broken Go back to step 1, but do not allow inertia to cause a system constraint.
The goal of an individual or an organization should not be defined in absolute terms. A good definition of a goal is one that sets us on a path of ongoing improvement.
It is no wonder that Lean is now strongly associated with small batches and setup reductions techniques. (S. 345 )